Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter at the garden

We had a busy Easter at the garden. In the big square bed we re-sowed lettuce (since only one of our six types germinated with any vigor) and kohlrabi since our first batch of that also never popped up. We also put in the rest of the onions and sowed some of our radish mix (can't wait to see what kinds we get). This is our first year of planting onions for their own sake and not just as our anti-aphid protection so we will see how they turn out. Luckily we still have enough of the set left over to make an onion border in a couple of beds.



Hubby put in the PVC hoops for our row cover tunnel. In the tunnel bed we sowed green beans, wax beans, more kohlrabi, and cylindra and golden beets.



 We had to move some garlic chives out of the hoop bed before we sowed seeds, but I found a good sized pot for them. We have garlic chives all over so if they don't survive the transplant it's not the end of the world.



Hubby also put a permanent wood frame around my "tea bed" so that now it actually looks like a bed since before I just some pieces of wood laid on the ground and it looked more like debris. I was very happy to see that the chamomile is already putting out flowers but am still perplexed because the package of seeds these came from said they were German chamomile but all my herb books say this is Roman chamomile since the plant is more frond-like and the flowers are smaller. If anyone knows one way or the other, please leave me a comment since at this point I don't know who to believe. I guess it doesn't ultimately matter since I'll have tea either way :)


No comments:

Post a Comment